Chronic kidney disease (CKD) is a complex disease affecting ~10% of adults and has a clear heritable component. Small cohort human and animal studies have linked altered DNA methylation to CKD. Therefore we will carry out epigenome-wide association studies (EWAS) of incident CKD and EWAS of CKD progression among patients with specific CKD aetiologies. This will be followed by integration of results with kidney cell-type specific gene expression and chromatin annotation maps and genome-wide DNA sequence variants. Together, these approaches will provide new insights into the contribution of epigenetic modifications to CKD in humans.
Selected project-relevant publications
- Wuttke M. and Kottgen A. (2016) Insights into kidney diseases from genome-wide association studies. Nat Rev Nephrol 12, 549-562.
- Hoppmann A.S., Schlosser P., Backofen R., Lausch E. and Kottgen A. (2016) GenToS: Use of Orthologous Gene Information to Prioritize Signals from Human GWAS. PLoS One 11, e0162466.
- Pattaro C., Teumer A., Gorski M., Chu A.Y., Li M., Mijatovic V., Garnaas M., …, Köttgen A., Kao W.H., Fox C.S. (2015) Genetic associations at 53 loci highlight cell types and biological pathways relevant for kidney function. Nat Commun 7, 10023.
- Titze S., Schmid M., Kottgen A., Busch M., Floege J., Wanner C., Kronenberg F. and Eckardt K.U. (2015) Disease burden and risk profile in referred patients with moderate chronic kidney disease: composition of the German Chronic Kidney Disease (GCKD) cohort. Nephrol Dial Transplant 30, 441-451.
- Kottgen A., Albrecht E., Teumer A., Vitart V., Krumsiek J., ..., Ciullo M., Fox C.S., Caulfield M., Bochud M. and Gieger C. (2013) Genome-wide association analyses identify 18 new loci associated with serum urate concentrations. Nat Genet 45, 145-154.
- Eckardt K.U., Coresh J., Devuyst O., Johnson R.J., Kottgen A., Levey A.S. and Levin A. (2013) Evolving importance of kidney disease: from subspecialty to global health burden. Lancet 382, 158-169.
- Pattaro C., Kottgen A., Teumer A., Garnaas M., Boger C.A., ..., Chasman D.I., Kao W.H. and Fox C.S. (2012) Genome-wide association and functional follow-up reveals new loci for kidney function. PloS Genet 8, e1002584.
- Chasman D.I., Fuchsberger C., Pattaro C., Teumer A., ..., Kao W.H., Fox C.S. and Kottgen A. (2012) Integration of genome-wide association studies with biological knowledge identifies six novel genes related to kidney function. Hum Mol Genet 21, 5329-5343.
- Kottgen A., Pattaro C., Boger C.A., Fuchsberger C., ..., Chasman D.I., Kao W.H., Heid I.M. and Fox C.S. (2010) New loci associated with kidney function and chronic kidney disease. Nat Genet 42, 376-384.
- Kottgen A., Glazer N.L., Dehghan A., Hwang S.J., ..., Witteman J.C., Coresh J., Shlipak M.G. and Fox C.S. (2009) Multiple loci associated with indices of renal function and chronic kidney disease. Nat Genet 41, 712-717.