Fertilisation occurs when the two gametes fuse to produce a totipotent zygote. This process is characterised by intense chromatin remodelling of the paternal gamete including protamine eviction. The precise molecular mechanisms of paternal epigenome reprogramming and meiotic inheritance remain poorly understood. Using Drosophila as a model system, we will functionally dissect the epigenetic network controlling reprogramming of the paternal gamete during early embryogenesis. This project will bring us closer to the development of novel diagnostic and therapeutic interventions for infertility.
Selected project-relevant publications
- Zenk F., Loeser E., Schiavo R., Kilpert F., Bogdanovic O. and Iovino N. (2017) Germ line-inherited H3K27me3 restricts enhancer function during maternal-to-zygotic transition. Science 357, 212-216.
- Hau M., Zenk F., Ganesan A., Iovino N. and Jung M. (2017) Cellular analysis of the action of epigenetics drugs and probes. Epigenetics doi: 10.1080/15592294.2016.1274472.
- Loser E., Latreille D. and Iovino N. (2016) Chromatin Preparation and Chromatin Immuno-precipitation from Drosophila Embryos. Methods Mol Biol 1480, 23-36.
- Iovino N. (2014) Drosophila epigenome reorganization during oocyte differentiation and early embryogenesis. Brief Funct Genomics 13, 246-253.
- Iovino N., Ciabrelli F. and Cavalli G. (2013) PRC2 controls Drosophila oocyte cell fate by repressing cell cycle genes. Dev Cell 26, 431-439.
- Iovino N. and Cavalli G. (2011) Rolling ES cells down the Waddington landscape with Oct4 and Sox2. Cell 145, 815-817.
- Iovino N., Pane A. and Gaul U. (2009) miR-184 has multiple roles in Drosophila female germline development. Dev Cell 17, 123-133.
- Aravin A., Gaidatzis D., Pfeffer S., Lagos-Quintana M., Landgraf P., Iovino N., Morris P., Brownstein M.J., Kuramochi-Miyagawa S., Nakano T., Chien M., Russo J.J., Ju J., Sheridan R., Sander C., Zavolan M. and Tuschl T. (2006) A novel class of small RNAs bind to MILI protein in mouse testes. Nature 442, 203-207.